These are some of the things I did myself to make baby G's room more special:
Basket liners: We had the Pottery Barn basket liners in green from L's changing table. Unfortunately they didn't go with our grey/yellow color scheme. I had to either buy new ones (I couldn't find any) or make them. With that on mind I got some Gingham fabric in yellow and looked online for a tutorial. I didn't find any easy enough to follow (I should say I'm not that good at following directions or steps). So what to do? I took a good look at the green ones we had, got an idea of how they were sewed and ventured into trying to do one myself. Not bad, right?
Window valance: Sewing this was pretty easy. I already sewed some little curtains for my kitchen last year so it was the same process. We are talking simple-rod-casing curtains. No ruffles, nothing fancy. I used a wider piece of fabric than the window width so it can ruffle a little.
Changing pad cover: I was surprised by how easy this project was. This time I followed this great tutorial and in less than 60 minutes (no kidding) I had a new, cute changing pad cover for the changing table. I used some white Minky fabric and a piece of blue Chenille fabric I'd bought at JoAnns.
Pillows and pillow covers: I had some fabrics in grey and yellow that I bought some time ago (from Ikea, Etsy & Fabric.com) so I decided to sew some envelope-type pillow covers. I also did some little pillows for the crib and changing table. And since I wanted a monogram pillow, I added a felt "g" to one of the covers. I just glued it with some fabric glue but I think next time I should sew the letter to the cover to make it look more professional.
These are the little DIY sewing projects for the nursery. For being my first time, I'm very happy with the results. I'm planning on sewing some bibs and a "blankie" for baby G, too. I think sewing will be my new hobby for now on.